Learning about Makeup & Fashion

Growing up I was basically an only child. I have sisters, one full sister and two stepsisters. By the time I was a teenage my full sister was no longer living in the house and my two stepsisters were both older and lived on their own. So I never had someone to teach me the ropes on “being a girl”. Sure I had my mom, but my mom never really wore makeup and did her hair in the same style day in and day out. So unfortunately she wasn’t much help in that department. I also didn’t have very many girl friends as a teenager. I was always that girl with who only really hung out with guys.

At the time I never really cared about makeup or fashion. Going to such a small school, I didn’t care if I was dolled up like the other girls. I did manage to teach myself some basic makeup applications. But it was all simple and easy. And I was totally ok with that! The only time I would really wear makeup was for special occasions. I also kept my style fairly basic, usually a single colored shirt and a pair of jeans. Can’t go wrong with that right??

Makeup By Shirley
**Click to see more work by Shirley**
But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve slowly started to regret not being interested in fashion or makeup. I see all these beautiful looks makeup artists create and post on Instagram. I see all the cute outfits girls wear. While I may not of been interested when I was younger, I am slowly becoming way more interested now! Luckily, I have an awesome friend who an amazing makeup artist who is always there when I have any questions (thats me on the right, MUA: Shirley). I’m also teaching myself by utilizing Instagram and YouTube. (P.S. I’m still holding out hope that I’ll make a new girl (best) friend who’ll take me under her wing and teach me how to apply makeup and how to dress better 💁🏻)

So until then, drop some links to your favorite beauty bloggers and makeup artists. I’ll take all the help I get!

37 Comments

1. Ella

August 21, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Ahh the pains of being an only child. I grew up the same thing since I am also an only child. now that I a grown woman with kids *and a daughter too, I too felt some regret why I didn’t spend time learning it. Maybe part of it was because silently, I thought wearing make up is flirtatious and I resented it. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to see more glammed up posts from you.

August 21, 2017 at 5:29 pm

That’s exactly how I felt! Not wearing makeup made me felt like I was rebelling against the norm. But now I realize makeup is so much more. I can wear it simply because I like it.

2. jin

August 21, 2017 at 5:51 pm

That’s how I feel when growng up. Then I got older! I think it’s partially because I don’t have great glowing skin, so I needed help in trying to get the effortless skin look. But even at 36, I’m still pretty much clueless and started really learning about makeup these past few years!

3. Lisa

August 21, 2017 at 7:41 pm

I was the oldest and so can relate to you, with no one to show or teach me the ropes. Remember, true beauty is on the inside, and you are beautiful with or without makeup!

August 21, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Oh i agree! but i also think its to change up my looks on occasion 🙂

4. Oyinkan

August 21, 2017 at 8:07 pm

I’m still learning about makeup too & I’m having so much fun with it & documenting the process through video along the way. It’s fun!

August 21, 2017 at 8:50 pm

I dont think im ready to document my process just yet haha maybe one day i will 🙂

5. Afroz

August 22, 2017 at 12:55 am

You look lovely in that picture,me too not mich in make up use bare necessarybut your eye make up is so classy. I feel in make up, more is less.
    Actually online there are so many tutorials that it gets confusing to me

August 24, 2017 at 11:25 pm

Thank you! I agree its very confusing. but i figured i’ll take my time. Im not in a rush to learn 🙂

6. Thehyppomyselfthecat

August 22, 2017 at 1:16 am

Yes, it was the same for me….growing up in a small town in the country side where fashion wasn’t much more than just buy the most expensive brand clothes even if they were horrible! and make up….oh my god, I wasn’t almost even allowed to wear anything (apart from carnival) until I was 18….but the good thing is ….there are a lot of affordable brands out there now to pick from and develop your own style….I always suggest to leave out H&M and so on as the fast fashion is destroying the planet…but there are a lot of ethical brands too now….so have fun!!! 🙂

August 24, 2017 at 11:30 pm

I’ve spent summers in a small town, where their biggest store was WalMart so I fully understand that country living (to an extent). Yea I avoid H&M! Never was a fan of their clothing and I don’t like their business ethics.

7. acraftymix

August 22, 2017 at 4:52 am

I’m afraid I can’t really give you any advice, I’m in the same boat as you Lexi and completely clueless on how to apply makeup. But I’ll be following along on the side lines, maybe I’ll get a few tips 😉

August 24, 2017 at 11:30 pm

I’ll make sure to try and post some tutorials 🙂

8. Tanvi Rastogi (@Tanviidotcom)

August 22, 2017 at 6:45 am

I am still not much in to make up and I am 35. I would love for someone to do it for me, but to do it myself seems quite tedious and boring 🙂

❥ tanvii.com

August 24, 2017 at 11:31 pm

Oh man I wish I had someone to do my makeup! Haha that would be amazing!

9. keisha1989

August 22, 2017 at 8:21 am

I still have a lot to learn about make up but post like these and these youtube tutorials have been a great help.

August 24, 2017 at 11:31 pm

I am a big fan of youtube tutorials!

10. Hey Sharonoox

August 22, 2017 at 3:57 pm

I started learning and blogging about makeup more in depths several years back. Though I’m not a professional makeup artist, I love makeup and fashion a lot.

August 24, 2017 at 11:32 pm

I’ll have to check out your blog! 🙂

11. tumandok

August 23, 2017 at 3:09 am

Our 4-year old granddaughter knows how to put make up for herself. She borrows the makeup kit of her auntie. Where she gets that skill? YouTube. – Gil Camporazo

August 24, 2017 at 11:33 pm

How cute! 🙂

12. Elizabeth O

August 23, 2017 at 6:51 am

Learning how to wear makeups and all about fashion is women’s opportunity to improve their physical appearance. This is such helpful eye-opener to everyone and treat make up as beauty and art.

August 24, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Agreed! 🙂

13. elenasts

August 23, 2017 at 8:56 am

I am the oldest so I completely understand what you are saying. But the thing is you are never to old to learn new stuff, for instance no one showed me anything either and I had to learn everything on my own.

August 24, 2017 at 11:34 pm

I’ve been enjoying learning! 🙂

14. chewoutloud

August 23, 2017 at 7:53 pm

It’s definitely not too late for you to create your social media and show off your newfound interest! It’s fun to find something you enjoy doing 🙂

August 24, 2017 at 11:35 pm

That’s what I’ve been doing! I’ve loved getting started.

15. Joei

August 23, 2017 at 8:28 pm

I like buying make up but I also don’t know how to use them! I’m planning to take make up classes. I’m having a hard time following You Tube tutorials because I have so many questions!

August 24, 2017 at 11:37 pm

Same here! I buy so much makeup! (always on sale, I refuse to pay full price! haha)
      As much as I love youtube tutorials, it does suck that I can’t actually ask them anything.

16. sadhna shanker

August 24, 2017 at 1:13 am

When I read your line about ur mum keeping her hair the same way, I wondered if my own daughter ( an only child) has faced the same issues coz I am like ur mum. Am glad read your post

August 24, 2017 at 11:37 pm

Hey when you find a look that works for you, why change it? Glad you enjoyed my post 🙂

17. eclectickristal

August 24, 2017 at 8:49 am

At first makeup was hard for me but now I still have my challenges but I love doing makeup.

August 24, 2017 at 11:38 pm

I’ve enjoyed learning. The harder the challenge the better

18. IG @CurlsAndACamera_ (@CurlsAndACamera)

August 24, 2017 at 10:44 am

I was just the same as you. I didn’t really get interested in make-up until much later in life. In high school, lip gloss and mascara was enough. So now, here I am watching tutorials on YouTube trying to catch up!

August 24, 2017 at 11:38 pm

My go-to was always eyeliner and mascara 🙂

19. Ana Ojha

August 24, 2017 at 12:43 pm

I don’t have any older or younger sister! But I have some amazing girlfriends who taught me few basics! Though I don’t wear make-up much!

August 24, 2017 at 11:39 pm

I’ve been lucky to have a friend that is addicted to makeup (she went to school for it). She helps me out so much! Very thankful for her